Configure SAP Data Services 4 for SAP HANA
After completing this lesson, you will be able to:
• Configure SAP Data Services for Metadata Import
You are using SAP Data Services to load data into HANA. You have to perform basic configuration as an administrator.
Below are the steps:
- Logon to CMC (Central Management Console) with user having administrative rights
- set encryption password which is used to encrypt metadata browsing and viewing data services
- restart EIM adaptive processing server so that encryption is active
- Logon to Data Services Management Console with user having administrative rights
- For administrative privilege, CMC user needs “Data Services Administrator Users” privilege or complete CMC privilege “Administrators”
- Session security needs to be adjusted for web service “Import_repo_object”
- Install SAP HANA ODBC driver on Data Services server component and Data Services clients if needed
- Configure SAP HANA ODBC connection
SAP HANA ODBC driver is needed on Data Services server to run the jobs.
It is also needed on Data Services Client to configure the datastore and to import table structure from SAP HANA.
Data Services server components leverage the Information Platform Services (IPS).
The browser-based Central Management Console (CMC) can be started with the following address: http://<servername>:8080/BOE/CMC.
Logon to the BOE Central Management Console with an user having “Administrator” privileges.
Choose ‘applications’ from the drop down menu or from ‘Manage’ area on CMC homepage.
Choose Data services application from the list by double clicking on it-
Enter a passphrase for encryption passphrase.
This affects not only HANA studio but all other applications using this service.
To restart the EIM Adaptive Processing Server enter the server management via CMC navigation.
Right click and select ‘restart server’
Double click on server name to monitor the status of the server till it has reached “running” state
Close the CMC now.
Logon to Data Services Management console with user having administrative rights.
The browser-based Data Services Management Console can be started with the following address:
http://<servername>:8080/DataServices/launch/logon.do – if installed on the same web application server as the Central Management Console
Choose Web Services-
Choose Web services configuration tab-
Adjust web services settings by selecting Web service “Import Repo Object” and selecting “Disable Session Security” from drop down menu and choosing “Apply”
This has disabled session security for web service “Import_Repo_Object”
The Data Services Management console can be closed after these steps.
Install the SAP HANA ODBC Driver
- Install HANA ODBC driver (64 bit version required for Windows and Linux)
- Execute “hdbinst-a client” via command line tool from HANA installation directory
- Add an ODBC datasource via the administration tool-
- use “odbcac32.exe” on Windows 64 bit platform to add ODBC datasource (User or System datasource)
- Use unixODBC on Linux platform to add ODBC datasource
- Logon via the Data Services Designer, create a new Datastore of type HANA, test the connectivity and add it to the respective directory
To add an ODBC Data Source via the ODBC Data Source Administrator start the 32bit-version. This version is located in the path C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. Or start directly from the Data Services Designer as shown later.
Ensure that the HANA ODBC is installed via the “Driver” tab. Driver name is “HDBODBC” or “HDBODBC32”.
Configure a new HANA ODBC connection as User DSN or System DSN. Click on button Add, select the HANA ODBC driver and type in the connection details:
• Data Source Name: Name of the ODBC connection
• Description: additional information
• Server: server address of SAP HANA server. Please use the following
• Database: SAP HANA Catalog
The ODBC connection have to be configured on the Data Services Client and on the Data Services Job Server with the same name.
To create a SAP HANA Datastore in Data Services start Data Services Designer.
Click on “Create Datastore” on the welcome page and type in the datastore information:
• Datastore name: Datastore name in Data Services
• Datastore type: Choose “Database”
• Database type: Choose “HANA”
• Database version: Choose “HANA 2.x”
• Data source: Select the HANA ODBC connection from the drop-down list or use the button “ODBC Admin” to start ODBC Administrator to create a new connection
• User name / Password: SAP HANA user
You can just start with modeling Jobs and Dataflows in the Data Services Designer.
Via the so called “Template Tables” you can create tables in SAP HANA.