The size of SAP BW system is important aspect for SAP BW on HANA migration. It is very good step to remove the unwanted data from the SAP BW system before determining the sizing part. Unwanted data in an old BW system may include old statistical data, PSA entries, change log entries, old logs, temporary objects, obsolete infoproviders and data flows etc.
SAP recommends to do regular housekeeping of the SAP BW system. There are two types of clean up which are necessary- SAP BASIS side cleanup activities and SAP BW side cleanup activities.
SAP Basis activities is out of scope here, below we will discuss the BW activities which are essential to be performed before going for sizing-
It is good to decide on which data can be deleted and which data should be archived. Create a PoC and discuss is with your business team.
- Delete data of unused Infoproviders
- Delete data from DSOs which are at the low level of LSA architecture
- Delete master data that is no longer required (SAP note 1370848)
- empty the aggregates (optional step as aggregates are not exported in BW on HANA migration)
- Clean up PSA tables and change logs
- Compress Infocubes
- Delete temporary SAP tables (report SAP_DROP_TMPTABLES)
- Delete DTP data (report RSBATCH_DEL_MSG_PARM_DTPTEMP)
- Delete error stacks (report RSB_ANALYZE_ERRORLOG, RSBM_ERRORLOG_DELETE)
- Archive SAP BW objects (tcode SARA)
- Other BW housekeeping activities (in tcode RSSGPCLA, you can delete outdated programs, you can remove inconsistencies using ANALYZE_RSZ_TABLES report
If you are in version SAP BW 7.3 with SPS 10 or SAP BW 7.31 with SPS 08 or SAP BW 7.40 with SPS 06, you can directly go to the tcode STC01 and view and execute the SAP_BW_HOUSEKEEPING task list. Choose the task, click generate task list and run F8.
By clicking the checkbox ‘EXECUTE’, you can schedule a task and also can give parameters for execution.
Note: You can avoid deleting statistical data which is the data in the 0TCT* infoproviders or in the tables RSDDSTAT* as this data might be needed for comparing the performance of SAP BW and BW on HANA systems. You can delete this data after the BW on HANA migration. Anyways, statistical data occupies a lot of space and you can delete a portion of this data if you are unsure.
You should schedule this task list on a monthly basis to keep your system clean.
Information material on SAP BW clean up activities-
Tag:ANALYZE_RSZ_TABLES, basis activities for housekeeping, BW metadata, cleanup activities in BW, delete error stack, deletion of statistical data, inconsistencies in BW system, PSA tables, RSBM_ERRORLOG_DELETE, RSB_ANALYZE_ERRORLOG, RSSGPCLA, SAP_DROP_TMPTABLES, SAP_INFOCUBE_DESIGNS, SARA, STC01, task list, work steps