The transformations can be instructed in BW system on HANA to get executed in the HANA database instead of the application server. However, it is not possible to do so for all types of transformations.
Whenever transformations run on HANA database, there is a significant improvement in the data load performance and system resources are saved.
In order to check whether the transformation is eligible to run on the HANA database or not, double click on it to open it in display mode.
In the top next to the transformation name, if you can see a flag ‘SAP HANA Processing Possible’, then the transformation is eligible to be performed in SAP HANA Database.
Next to the flag will be a check icon, click on it and the system will perform some checks. If all the checks are cleared, message is shown saying that ‘The Transformation can be processed in SAP HANA’.
Now, you can check the flag and activate the transformation. Create a new DTP for the transformation. In the ‘Execute’ tab select Processing mode as ‘SAP HANA Execution’. Activate and execute the DTP.
The transformation will be processed in HANA Database.
Below are some of the scenarios where conversion to SAP HANA optimized transformation is not possible:
- If the transformation has ‘rule groups’
- If the transformation has any of start routine/end routine/expert routine/field routine or any of the characteristic having global transfer routines
- If the source of the transformation is a query
- If the transformation has PERI7 as conversion routine
- If the transformation has Unit conversion happening for a quantity type key figure
If the above conditions are satisfied, again there are some more conditions on the targets in order to make the transformation HANA optimized. Below are the targets which are supported-
- DSOs (standard/ write optimized)
- Semantically Partitioned Objects on top of DSO
- Open hub Destination with Database tables
Thus if the target is HANA optimized cube, it is not possible to perform the transformation in HANA Database.